The Palos Fire Protection District was called about the pole fire near 121st Street and 80th Avenue around 6:50 a.m., according to Palos Fire Captain Chip Adams. An alert student waiting for the bus near the area saw the fire and called his mother, who then reported it to the district, Adams said.
"The pole may have been hit by lightning, but no wires were involved," Adams said. "All of the wiring was still intact though a portion of the pole was burnt through."
ComEd was called to repair the pole, and most recently reported fewer than five customers were without power as of 8:20 a.m. Palos Community Hospital did not lose power Thursday morning, according to their staff.
Drivers are encouraged to use caution while in the area.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
There are plenty of ways to keep up on local news: