Tips on Preventing Ruse Burglaries
The Village of Palos Park offers useful tips to help residents avoid ruse burglars.
Help Us, Help You Prevent A Ruse Burglary!
This type of crime can be prevented by following thesesafety tips:
- Never allow any inspectors or workers access to your home until youhave confirmed their identity and reason for being at your home.
- Village of Palos Park Public Works and Water Department Personnelwill not come to a house unannounced. Do not allow them access toyour home and immediately contact the Palos Park Police by dialing 9-1-1.
- Public utilities will not show up to your home unannounced toconduct an inspection that you did not request. If someone appearsat your door purporting to be from a public utility that you did not call,immediately contact the Palos Park Police by dialing 9-1-1.
- If a contractor or someone purporting to be from a public utilityrequests that you accompany them to inspect something aroundyour home, refuse and immediately contact the Palos Park PoliceDepartment by dialing 9-1-1.
- Ask for identification whenever someone you did not contact showsup at your door.
- From inside your home, attempt to obtain a description of the vehiclethat they are using so you can report it to the police.
- Contact the Palos Park Police by dialing 9-1-1, if there is a suspiciousperson around your home or property.
- Be a good neighbor. If you observe suspicious activity around aneighbor's home, contact the Palos Park Police Department at 708 4482191 or simply call 911
Nicole Milovich-Walters, Commissioner Public Works, Streets and Recreation
Dan Polk, Police Commissioner