Chimney Fire Sparks Blaze At Palos Home
Officials said no one was hurt in a Christmas Day fire, though a family of six was displaced from their home.
A family of six had to be evacuated from their Palos Hills home after a chimney fire sparked a blaze in the attic on Christmas Day, officials said.
No one was injured in the fire in the 104th block of 84th Avenue in Palos Hills, but the home is unhabitable, said North Palos Fire Protection District Battalion Chief Rocky Carlson.
Carlson said he believes the family went to stay with other family members. The call came in at about 1:43 p.m. Tuesday and firefighters got it under control somewhere between 15 minutes and a half an hour, he said.
"The chimney caught on fire and the fire got into the attic area," Carlson explained.
Carlson is encouraging all homeowners to keep their chimneys clean, as an accumulation of soot and other fire residue was a factor in the fire.
Other than the fire, all has been fairly quiet so far on Christmas Day, Carlson said.
"There's been a few calls here and there, but not too bad," he said.